Norwood is a school with a strong community. Our goal is to help each student be all that they can be; to help them to develop the skills and knowledge so that they can fully participate in and appreciate the cultural, social, political, and economic and aspects of society.
To ensure success for all students, Norwood School provides excellence in instruction of all literacies and takes pride in fostering high levels of wellness in the school and community.
Three particular areas of focus this year are; continuing to develop a strong culture of learning; maintaining the dynamic and strong culture of belonging and safety; and providing authentic learning experiences in our Natural Outdoor Learning Grounds and through targeted fieldtrip adventures.
School success is based on the students’ ability to be ready for learning: to be ready to fully engage in the activities and experiences that our amazing teachers prepare each day. Thank you for your support at home to help students be ready for learning each day!
To be ready for learning students need to:
- Be on time for school so that they do not miss out on the vital transitions to the school day and the sharing of the day’s expectations and goals
- Be at school every day to ensure they do not miss critical leanings and find themselves in a state of perpetual ‘catch up”
- Be well rested and fed (10-11 hours of sleep a night for students ages 5-12)
- Play safe and be a good friend to others
- Be thoughtful about their own learning needs and respectful of the needs of others
- Be ready to cooperate with all adults and peers in the building